Re: Journal/Publisher 2010 price freeze info on MLA website

Along with price increases, one issue that I find a factor is a
publisher who insists on a package deal rather than a title by
title selection - the infamous big deal.  As I am looking at the
budget for the next two years and the cuts that we are facing, I
am finding the packages are not sustainable. Several of our
contracts expire this year, so I will be renegotiating them. Even
for those that we can afford this year, I am reluctant to commit
to as I do not know if we can afford them next year.  These are
also the publishers who are increasing their prices this year
albeit at a lower increase than normal.  As we look at what to
cut and what to keep, I am less inclined to support such
publishers.  If there is an alternative, I will certainly
advocate for it rather than being forced into a model in which
has questionable benefits for the library.

Tracey Thompson