Disturbing spread of dyscalculia in recent publisher price lists and announcements

Dear colleagues,

according to the english Wikipedia,

"Dyscalculia is a lesser known disability, similar and
potentially related to dyslexia and developmental dyspraxia.
Dyscalculia occurs in people across the whole IQ range, and
sufferers often, but not always, also have difficulties with
time, measurement, and spatial reasoning." (...)

Potential symptoms include ...

"Inability to comprehend financial planning or budgeting,
sometimes even at a basic level; for example, estimating the cost
of the items in a shopping basket or balancing a checkbook."

"Poetic ability. Good visual memory for the printed word."

"May do fairly well in subjects such as science and geometry,
which require logic rather than formulae, until a higher level
requiring calculations is obtained."

"Poor long-term memory (retention & retrieval) of concept
mastery."

"Difficulty with conceptualizing time and judging the passing of
time. May be chronically late."

"Lack "big picture/ whole picture" thinking."

"Difficulty with games such as poker with more flexible rules for
scoring."

"Difficulty in activities requiring sequential processing, from
the physical (such as dance steps) to the abstract (reading,
writing and signaling things in the right order). May have
trouble even with a calculator due to difficulties in the process
of feeding in variables."

I guess all this looks quite familiar to many of us having to
deal with publishers on a daily / annual basis in acquisitions
and budgeting.

Signs of serious (and serial) dyscalculia have also surfaced in
recent attempts of publishers to answer the International
Coalition of Library Consortia ICOLC's plea for creating
effective pricing and renewal options for dealing with the global
economic crisis and its impact on consortial licenses.

First SAGE Publications tried to sell us a migration to e-only by
pledging to plant trees and promising considerable savings for
libraries. When we checked the calculation, the "savings"
amounted to a price increase by 15%. The publisher apologized and
said, they made an honest mistake when calculating 2010 list
prices. (From our scrapbook on How Publishers are (not) Helping
Libraries in the Downturn ... this time SAGE,
http://twtlong.com/itsbyc).

A lapse in logic surfaced with IOP Publishing, who maintained a
price freeze for e-only compared to 2009 (actually there was no
e-only option in 2009, and you are now offered to get e-only in
2010 for the same money that still brought you print plus online
in 2009). Taking into account the price differential, we see an
increase by 5% on average. IOP Publishing also fails to take into
account that for their european customers a price differential of
only 5% will mean a price increase for going e-only (due to the
higher VAT applicable).

Now comes Oxford Journals.

They tell us "... we are pleased to report that there will be no
increase in the online only price between 2009 and 2010 for the
majority of our journals." Hm ... 79% certainly is the majority,
but it looks already suspicious that the percentage isn't higher.
But if you then examine further and find out that another 25%+ of
the journals (50+) do not follow the stated rule:

"From 2010 onwards the online only price will be the 'base' price
for all journals we publish (rather than the print-plus-online or
combined price). The print only price will be 110% and the
combined price 120% of the online only price.", ...

with actual surcharges for a combined subscription up to 67%
(print up to 53%) higher than the "base price", you really wonder
what's going on here. Nota bene, the Oxford Journals webpage, at
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/access_purchase/2010/pricing_policy_2010.html
(Pricing Policy and Conditions 2010) lists only 4 exclusions to
the 2010 Institutional Price Policy (Journal of Topology and
three Journals of the London Mathematical Society).

Turns out that for a large part of Oxford Journals, namely all in
the Oxford Open program (85 hybrid journals that offer authors an
OA option on a per article basis), pricing of print is actually
decoupled from online. In the words of OUP, from footnote 8 to
the Oxford Journals - Institutional Price List 2010:

"2010 online-only subscription prices for journals offering the
optional Oxford Open model have been adjusted to reflect the
amount of open access content published in each journal in 2008
[compared to 2007]*. Generally, the more open access content
published in a journal, the lower the future online-only price.
However, this picture is sometimes complicated by other factors
such as changes in page extent, issue frequency, and exchange
rate adjustments." [* my amendment, cf. previous price lists -
this probably hasn't changed, as actual evidence from examples I
have checked demonstrate.]

Such a policy has been in effect since at least 2006(07), but why
on earth is this footnote only attached to two journals (JNCI and
Schizophrenia) instead of all ... in the program? And why does
OUP not highlight that their new policy - online only price as
the base price for 'all journals we publish' - does not hold for
this large group of titles? As the discrepancy can be massive,
decisions based on the "general rule" (should we ask our faculty
to dispense with print, based on potential savings?) can be
utterly wrong. By the way, if the OA uptake for these journals
increases, OUP lowers just the online only price, not the online
surcharge for combined print+online subscriptions. This could be
a welcome incentive to move away from print but it should be
properly communicated.

OUP should clearly lay open how prices for these titles were
actually set, depending on the development of OA uptake,
increases in size (output) if any and other factors. (To be fair,
spot tests have convinced me that the adjustments made accurately
reflect the OA uptake of the journals in question; the formula
used for 2010 was: combined rate (2010) = combined rate
(2009)*0,95*1,2, print rate (2010) = combined rate
(2009)*0,95*1,1, online only rate (2010) = combined rate
(2009)*0,95*(1 - OA uptake), plus possible adjustments for
occasional other factors, applied to all three rates. The OA
uptake rates for 2008 varied between 0% and 30%. This is a slight
improvement over 2007 where top OA uptake rate was 24% (for
"Bioinformatics", same as 2008), while the average uptake in life
sciences was 11% (SSH 2%, Med, Math 5%, avg 7%) (after Claire
Bird: Case Study: Oxford Journals' adventures in open access, in:
Learned Publishing 21 No. 3 (July 2008), 200-208).)

The passing reference, that the picture is sometimes complicated
by "exchange rate adjustments" also aroused our suspicion. We
indeed found three Oxford Open titles published in the US with
apparent "exchange rate adjustments": The online only price for
"Nicotine and Tobacco Research [US]" increases 15% in EUR / GBP,
while USD price remains equal. Same with the Gerontologist
package [US] that increases by 33% in EUR and GBP. The "adjusted
exchange rates" are 1.0 for USD/EUR, and 1.5 for both EUR/GBP and
USD/GBP. These are apparently the standard "company rates" used
by OUP. For comparison, the current real exchange rate for
EUR/GBP is around 1.2, for USD/GBP around 1.65, and 1,4 for
USD/EUR. For titles published in GB and SG, the "company rates"
used are 2 USD/GBP and 1.5 EUR/GBP. This amounts to "exchange
rate profiteering" (to use the clear language of my friend Dana
Roth from Caltech) of 10% in GBP and 40% in EUR for US based
titles, and 20% in USD and 30% in EUR for titles published in GB
and SG. So if anything, we would have expected "exchange rate
adjustments" in the opposite direction.

There is another case among Oxfords OA experiments that leads you
to doubt whether they calculated correctly, or made an "honest
mistake", or are just trying to experiment with pricing and see
what happens. This is "Evidence-based Complementary and
Alternative Medicine (eCAM)". Launched 2004, Publication costs
were to be covered by a 10 year sponsorship grant from Ishikawa
Natural Medicine Products Research Center (INMPRC). In 2007 OUP
announced a change in eCAM Open Access Policy: "Oxford Journals
has been providing all eCAM papers 'Open Access' without any
charge to authors for the first four volumes since its launch.
This has attracted much enthusiasm, and now the journal is
established as one of the most exciting in the field.

Due to great success in experimenting with the open access
system, it has been decided for original articles to remain 'open
access' without charge to authors after 2008. However, all other
manuscripts will be subscription based." eCAM has about ca. 55%
original research and 45% other articles (reviews, editorials,
commentaries). For the letter, access is subscription based, but
eCAM also joined the Oxford Open program. In 2009 OUP charged
academic libraries GBP 200 for a combined subscription, GBP for
Print and GBP 90 for e-only (45%), consistent with a 55%
reduction due to the OA content (this could grow larger, if
authors opted in to pay Oxford open charges for making reviews
etc. open access).

However, what happened instead? For 2010 OUP charges GBP 209 for
a combined subscription and GBP 190 for online only - the
proportional reduction in online only price due to the part
covered by OA subsidies has mysteriously disappeared. Ups! Nota
bene, size (and output) has actually decreased by 13% since 2005.
Now, as de facto all of eCAM is still open access, libraries
could simply cancel, if anyone really bothered to subscribe so
far. (Very likely, most got it via consortia or other package
deals, e.g., in all of Germany, I found only one regular
subscription to this title at academic medical libraries, at the
central library for medicine in Cologne.)

By the way, the announced general change in the price structure
from last year (combined price 100%, print/online 95%) actually
means that print prices for Oxford Journals will increase by 10%
for 2010 and combined print + online prices by 14%. And if you
switch to e-only, in order to save money, as a european customer
you still will see a price increase from 2009 to 2010 of
typically 6% (due to the higher VAT applicable). (The exception
are again the Oxford Open titles where real savings for libraries
may be realized if you now switch from a combined subscription to
e-only.)

>From the publisher's perspective, it certainly looks a lot
better: 5% less from libraries switching from a combined
subscription to e-only is more than offset by the savings in
distribution and printing costs. And 14% more from libraries that
still need print plus online in order to satisfy their clients or
are required to fulfill basic archival roles that are based on
maintaining print collections is a real bonus in these times
where most publishers are pressed to keep increases in the lower
single digit regime. In the case of Oxford Open titles, libraries
that continue to subscribe to print despite the 14% price
increase and can afford this, are effectively subsidizing the
open access publishing side of these hybrid journals because they
realize no savings at all from the gradual uptake of OA by
authors.

But back to the statement on the changes in the Oxford Journals
institutional price policy and the communication of such complex
changes, that have far reaching consequences for the budgeting of
libraries. Is it really too much asked to provide more
transparency to customers, to correctly annotate price lists duly
noting all exceptions to a stated policy, and to avoid broad
sweeping statements that leave customers and agencies in the dark
to find out what it really means, when they discover that a large
part of the titles does not fit the description of a revised
pricing policy?

Ironically, Oxford Journals just announced on 10 June 2009 that
it has become one of the first STM publishers to achieve ISO
9001:2008 certification for the operations side of its business.
The press release said: "We hope our ISO 9001 certification will
demonstrate to our authors, readers, and purchasers of our
content that we have the proper mechanisms in place to provide a
high quality of service to them. Through ISO 9001:2008
certification Oxford Journals proves that key working practices
undertaken by staff working in its Operations Group (which
includes the Production, IT, and Customer Services departments)
are effective in providing a consistent quality of service." Oh,
well ... Is Dyscalculia on the radar of ISO 9001 auditors? Let's
hope for the best.

Is there any hope for a cure? Sage advice? (hm...) ... Ex oriente
lux? Wikipedia closes with the following paragraph:

"Treatment: Dyscalculia has no cure per se, but various treatment
options have been explored including electro-shock therapy.
Counselling can help, but not necessarily to a large degree. No
therapy has been properly verified and proved to be effective.
Some anecdotal evidence suggests, however, that a certain amount
of mathematical proficiency can be acquired by alternative
systems of mathematical calculation such as Eastern mathematics.
Anecdotal evidence also suggests, in fact, that dyscalculic
individuals might themselves pursue such systems out of need or
interest. The condition need not be seen as a disability, there
is nothing preventing people who suffer from dyscalculia from
succeeding in other academic fields such as history, geography
and other social sciences, or in artistic fields such as music or
drama."

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library