RE: Journal/Publisher 2010 price freeze info on MLA website

The Big Deal itself is not the problem, but rather the inflexible
business model.

A big deal approach with a negotiated annual fee, based upon
actual local use, would provide a happy balance of cost
predictability and broad seamless coverage. Analyzing and
adjusting the cost of the package based upon heavy, medium, and
low use title "value" would allow for better customization and a
reduction in costs for many libraries. The cost of a package plan
would reflect the power of the package.  A complete big deal
package would provide a lower subscription value for lesser used
titles ... when the desire is for unlimited access to the
broadest range of materials.

Alternatives to the big deal could be big deal subsets by
subject, and/or use-based title packages supplemented by document
delivery for excluded titles.

The big deal could be a fine solution for many libraries if we
can reasonably adjust the pricing model to reflect actual local
value.

David