Re: Journal/Publisher 2010 price freeze info on MLA website

Some librarians are indeed on vacation. At least a few are on
unpaid furloughs as part of their institutions' budget
reductions.

Nat is correct, from where I stand. We are vocal about
unsustainable price hikes. We do, contrary to the way it looks,
realize that commercial entities answer to shareholders. We also
know that, in a mature, non-expanding (i.e., ARL) market where
the amount of new money flowing in is either very limited or
non-existant, you really can't go on raising prices forever and
think that it will work. Unless, of course, your goal is to
increase the size of your piece of that pie, and with spend
requirements and punitive opt-out clauses in bundle contracts,
that has continued to work. At least until this year.

Research libraries need resources from a very wide range of
publishers and vendors. We really do need publishers to not raise
prices, and we do keep subscribing to as much as we can. Even if
there is only a small user group for a journal, it may be *the*
journal for that subdiscipline. Decisions are nuanced. And we
really do want to see those single-title presses and non-profits
stay in business. Many of us are doing everything we can to help
keep them afloat.

Cheers,
Eliz

Elizabeth E. Kirk
Associate Librarian for Information Resources
Dartmouth College
6025 Baker Library, Rm. 115
Hanover, NH, USA 03753
PH: (603) 646-9929