Re: Journal/Publisher 2010 price freeze info on MLA website

"a journal's usage and its importance to the library customers
and collection?" is ultimately the determining factor, but the
argument is not quite so simple.

In institutions like mine, cancellations during good times (i.e.
when funds are available) tend only to happen if circumstances
change and a journal is clearly no longer being used and is no
longer relevant. Inertia may save such titles from cancellation
in the short term; eventually they go.

However when a library simply cannot afford to renew all it's
subscriptions all sorts of factors have to be weighted and
considered. "Usage" and "importance" are not exactly synonymous.
Price will be one such factor and for me price restraint would
add some weight to a decision to keep a subscription.  Such
publishers are the sort of people we would prefer to be doing
business with.

The reverse is that high priced journals that are also going to
get even pricier are exposed to a bit more scrutiny, suspicion
and serious consideration of alternative solutions.

Publisher packages and deals complicate matters further, but the
final outcome is dictated by the funds available and hundreds of
separate and perhaps conflicting judgements.  Among which for any
one particular title the price or a price freeze may or may not
be the deciding factor.

So freezing prices won't protect journals from cancellation, but
could well make a difference where the decision is between titles
of "similar usage and importance to the library customers";
however that is reckoned.  Nonetheless given a finite pool of
money, freezing prices will surely maximise the number of
subscriptions maintained across the industry.  That may not
advantage any particular publisher or shareholder, but seems a
good outcome overall for publishing and its clients.

Neil Renison - Librarian (Acquisitions Services)
Eddie Koiki Mabo Library
James Cook University
Townsville QLD 4811 Australia
Email: Neil.Renison@jcu.edu.au
Phone: (07) 4781 5073    Fax: (07) 4781 5886