RE: Privacy and the Google settlement (long, sorry)

As a former ABA member of the National Information Infrastructure
Board (remember that?), I have seen much change in how our
government "values" citizen privacy since the mid-90's.
Especially since the onset of the Bush administration, the
government  business community have fused their interests in
obtaining individual citizens' personal information.  And there
is little if any restraint shown by either the government or
private industry over how they obtain the information or how it
is used by themselves or others.

The American Association of Librarians advocated strongly and
successfully in the 90's against the encroachment on personal
liberties. Has this changed?  Is everything in our country now
simply a commodity including our privacy,. our civil rights, and
our libraries?  I am impressed by Mr. Buschman's argument that
even though Google is offering a searchable database, it does not
have to be installed in libraries at the expense of readers'
privacy rights and library integrity.

Linda K. Hopkins, Attorney at Law,
Intelliware Int'l Law Firm
Roseville MN