Re: Privacy and the Google settlement (long, sorry)

I take exception to a number of assumptions here - they tend, in
the main, to cast libraries as "brokers" (i.e. businesses) as the
term was used in this posting.  First, Google digitized
libraries, not bookstores.  They will, as a result of the
agreement if it goes through, have a "slot" in libraries as part
of our services.  The correct analogy is not Slate or Newsweek,
but allowing Ebsco or Wiley etc. to harvest information about
users who walk in with every expectation that they will have the
run of resources without being unduly tracked and having that
information garnered for marketing purposes.  Granted, we're
struggling with balancing this value with the potential of new
searching capacities, but we won't find that balance by
redefining libraries as businesses or defining it out of
existence.  Second, I'm startled at how blithe the discussion is
of snooping, and the distinction made between government snooping
and business data gathering.  This is a real issue post-9/11.
The government did snoop - in libraries among many places/spaces.
The government also forced companies (who were all too eager to
roll over) to turn over what they gathered/snooped on.  In other
words, in the last 8 years, the division between business
intelligence and government intelligence has all but disappeared.
By giving Google a privileged place within libraries of all
types, we're right to look to protect what little privacy is
left.  Finally, is there anything wrong in being a place a little
bit apart?  Do we really need to track & market to our users just
like Amazon or Verizon?  That's our mission now?  I seriously
doubt that is healthy strategy for the long run.  It is not
cut-and-dried issue, I know.  We're not sacred or pure spaces for
privacy.  Privacy exists in a spectrum of practices and degrees.
But I do think we should be a little less blithe about its value
and our relationship to the products we offer our publics.

John Buschman