RE: article on ebooks for libraries

Just because they say it doesn't make it so.  This will be useful
for textbooks, but libraries aren't generally in the business of
supplying textbooks or canonical works for undergrad humanities
studies.  For other resources, the impact will be slight:  just
look at how nominal fees for printing impact article printing by
students.  They'll choose free and available over any sort of
nuisance.  Most research resource needs will likely require
intermediation by libraries for a while yet. Of course, brick and
mortar bookstores might disappear along with slow moving
publishers and distributors (see the recent NY Times article) if
or as ebook options continue to improve, but the library is
likely to continue to adapt. E-journals provide a good point of
comparison -- if it turns out that commercial interests cause
failures (or simply nuisances) in service to the scholarly
community, then we can expect libraries to step in as necessary
and actually become more involved than less involved.  Actually,
I overheard a vendor rep at the ALA talking about how much
interest they were seeing from libraries in new e-book purchasing
and access options...

I guess this means we won't have to worry about new off-site
storage facilities every couple of years, but how will we deal
with the need to re-charge all those batteries?

-Nat