Re: OA in High Energy Physics Arxiv Yields Five-Fold Citation Advantage

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Dana Roth
<dzrlib@library.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Given the results of this article and the very narrow
> scientific interest in high energy physics articles, what is
> the point of SCOAP3 - other than to absolve authors of any
> responsibility for the costs of maintaining the peer-review
> system, and to maintain the enormous disparity in subscription
> costs between commercial and non-profit high energy physics
> journals?

Although I am not sure it is based on quite the same reasoning,
Dana Roth's conclusion is basically right. SCOAP3 is a
non-sequitur:

HEP physicists virtually all self-archive, spontaneously, since
1991. This Green OA has greatly enhanced both the speed and the
impact of their research. The obvious take-home message from this
is that other fields should do likewise (and since most evidently
aren't doing it spontaneously, their institutions and funders
should mandate Green OA).

But instead of working to spread Green OA to other fields of
physics and beyond, what is the HEP community doing? It is
promoting a pre-emptive Gold OA consortium, SCOAP3, that is
neither needed by HEP nor serves the interests of other fields.
Moreover, SCOAP3 is almost certainly neither scaleable nor
unsustainable (being based on an internally incoherent notion of
annual collective prepayment to multiple vendors). SCOAP3 is a
somnambulistic non-sequitur, not to be emulated.

What is to be emulated is HEP's highly productive practice of
self-archiving, which is what has brought all the genuine
benefits. And since it is evident after 18 years that this
emulation is not going to happen spontaneously, it should be
universally mandated by institutions and funders, in the
interests of research and researchers in all fields, worldwide,
so all may reap the genuine benefits of Green OA, at long last,
as HEP has been doing since 1991 (and computer scientists since
even earlier): http://bit.ly/16yfRl

(In my own commentary on the Gentil-Beccot et al. (2009) article
I ignored SCOAP3 in order to keep the focus on the substantive
part, which is the demonstrated benefits of Green OA, rather than
veering off into voodoo economics. I note that with but a
fleeting mention of SCOAP3 at the very end of their article,
Gentil-Beccot et al. avoided this non-sequitur too.)

Stevan Harnad