Re: IOP Publishing Announces 2010 Prices

Apologies for cross posting.

Collins@ioppubusa.com wrote

>The new e-only option will allow customers to renew 2009
>subscriptions to all IOP Publishing-owned titles in 2010 with no
>price increase. E-only versions of IOP journal packages will
>also be available for the first time.

This is clearly false labeling. If e-only was not available
before, you can only compare etween print + online. There the
price increase is +5%, on average.

It means essentially that US customers will get IOP journals
e-only for the same price that got them print plus online last
year. What a deal!

One exception is Physical Biology, where e-only and e-only with
year-end print volume are priced the same as in 2009. (For the
three e-only journals published on behalf of SISSA,

- Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment
- Journal of Cosmology & Astroparticle Physics
- Journal of Instrumentation
(the price increase is 5%.)

The other notabel exception is Journal of Physics D, where e-only
= last years combined price, while print incl. online goes up by
15% (frequency increases from 24 to 50 issues/year). Also, Plasma
Sources Science and Technology, where again e-only = last years
combined price, print incl. online goes up by 30% (frequency
increases from 4 to 6 issues a year), leading to greater savings
for going e-only.

And of course, US libraries will not profit from the weak pound,
because GBP/USD exchange rates have been frozen in at 2009 rates
(current rates are 20% lower). For US libraries it will also be
very disappointing to learn that even under these strained
budgets IOP still does not offer US customers the option to take
the smaller package A instead of package B (US librarians have
complained for years about this).

It is also disappointing that IOP gives only 5% discount for
going e-only (with the two exceptions noted above, where greater
savings will occur). This price differential is too small for
most countries where VAT is charged on electronic subscriptions
and is a quarter of what AIP or APS are being able to offer.
E.g., in Germany, a combined subscription (according to IOP print
with free online access) is charged with the reduced VAT rate of
7%, while e-only is charged with the full VAT rate of 19%.
Consequently, switching to e-only would increase our costs by
10%, contrary to what IOP asserts.

For most european countries this means that a combined print +
online subscription is still cheaper than e-only for most titles,
with the consequence that there will be little incentive to
switch to e-only, with the notable exception of JPB (At our
library we will continue to subscribe to the combined version of
most titles, but will throw away print after one year. This
doesn't exactly help reducing paper consumption...)

For comparison, APS is able to offer e-only for at most ca. 81%
of a combined subscription (with the smallest tiers, it is ca.
68%), AIP at 82%. I do not understand why savings should be so
much smaller for IOP.

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library