From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Pennington, Mindy
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 5:19 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: input sought on PubGet

Hello everyone,

Have you heard about PubGet?  http://pubget.com/search

You can search from their site because they index much like
PubMed but retrieve the PDF of the articles you select. My
understanding is that you can also set up PubGet on your link
resolver as well and download multiple articles at once.  Has
anyone used this?

PubGet said in the Bio-IT World
<http://www.bio-itworld.com/news/06/10/09/pubget-full-text-PDF-search.html>
article that they have "users at all of the top 12 big pharmas,
but no formal relationships as yet ("meaning we haven't turned
them on yet.")"

I was thinking about some implications of this and would like to
know your thoughts...

*PubGet mentions users can metatag articles and keep them in a
locker. Is this hosted on their site? Is this data "private?"

*They mention they make money two ways - and one is to "aggregate
analytics about current life science search topics". Are they
tracking search keywords by company and then selling that data to
advertisers or other companies?

*With all of these new tools at our disposal (text and data
mining, bulk or automatic downloading), are the publishers not
able to change their licensing agreements to keep up with
technology?  Some publishers prohibit using what they call robots
or spiders, or automatic downloading and also have rate limits
set on downloading.

*Some text or data mining tools have the capability to block auto
downloading from publishers that prohibit this activity on the
global electronic licensing.  Is PubGet an automatic downloading
tool as well with no way to block auto downloading?

I look forward to hearing your input.

Regards,

Mindy Pennington
Manager, External Content