AAA Freezes Journal Subscription Dues

American Anthropological Association Freezes Journal Subscription
Dues

Group Responds to Financial Pressure on Library Subscribers

Today, the American Anthropological Association (AAA) announced
that its Executive Board voted to freeze 2010 subscription rates
for all of its journals in an effort to respond to the concerns
of their primary subscribers.

At a time where librarians are worried about the current economic
recession and are tightening their budgets, the AAA took swift
action to respond to the need of their primary constituents.
Today's action also includes the freezing of rates for
AnthroSource, the AAA supported premier online portal providing
access to over 100 years of anthropological knowledge.

"AAA is committed to listening to our resource partners, and this
step by the Executive Board proves that," AAA Executive Director
Bill Davis said in a statement released today. "We take very
seriously our responsibility to make anthropological knowledge as
accessible as possible, and will do everything in our power to
ensure that researchers, students and others continue to explore
the depths of this wonderful discipline."

Academic librarians nationwide are expressing concern about their
given the current economic crisis and the reduction in federal,
state and local funding for their operations, AAA is committed to
ensuring that as many libraries as possible continue to have
access to anthropological research published in its 22
publications, including the American Anthropologist, American
Ethnologist, Anthropology and Education Quarterly, Cultural
Anthropology, Ethos, and Medical Anthropology Quarterly.

Although the association is freezing prices, AAA and its
publishing partner, Wiley-Blackwell, continue to make investments
in the aforementioned journals and AnthroSource..

Wiley-Blackwell has invested in a massive retrodigitization
project, which will consolidate all AAA content on a single
platform and add more than 900 articles to AnthroSource as well
as four decades of Anthropology News. New content now appears in
full-text, full-searchable HTML as well as PDF format, and
editors have the option to publish figures in color online.
Plans are also underway for new online features including
supporting materials (e.g. datasets, translations), online
discussions linked to content, and podcasts.  .

To help ensure underresourced communities can access the content,
the AAA and Wiley-Blackwell also continue to make our content
available for free or at a reduced cost in the developing world
via philanthropic programs such as HINARI, OARE, INASP. and
AGORA, and offer free access to AnthroSource to U.S. Tribal
Colleges, U.S. Historically Black Colleges and Universities,
Canadian Arctic Colleges and Canadian First Nation Colleges.

For more information, please contact Oona Schmid, AAA Director of
Publishing at (703) 528-1902 x 1174 , or via electronic mail at
oschmid@aaanet.org.

Regards,

Sharon Stein
Assistant to the Director of Publishing