RE: "Overlay Journals" Over Again...

The scare quotes were meant to indicate that the "taxing"
authority may not be a political entity at all, but rather some
relevant association, such as the AAU, NASULGC, etc. This may
turn out to be private policy, rather than public policy. In
fact, I think that this is the more likely path this kind of
cost-sharing will take--just as it was a group of universities
themselves that voluntarily decided to set up the system of
scholarly communication we have now, by establishing and
supporting presses.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press