From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Sandy Thatcher
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:16 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: "Overlay Journals" Over Again...

Uh, just who is this "larger population" supposed to be, and what will
motivate it to step forward and provide the necessary funds for this
"central approach"?

One lesson we have learned from over 100 years of university press
publishing is that the few supply the benefits for the many. Some 80
universities pay the costs of having university presses whose publications
benefit the entire scholarly community. The other 3,000+ institutions of
higher education all get a free ride.

What reason is there to believe that there will be more equitable
distribution of support for OA publishing than there has been for
traditional market-based publishing?

Maybe this "larger population" needs to be "taxed" in some way?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press