RE: Submission Fees (was: RE: "Overlay Journals" Over Again...)

The use of submission fees for journals in the area of business
and economics journal publishing is not unusual.  As a matter of
fact, I cannot think of any top ranked finance journals that do
not charge a submission fee.  Some of these fees can range
between $250-500 and often they are charged for resubmission if
the article is given a "revise and resubmit" decision.  And the
more prestigious the journal, the more price inelastic this
submission fee becomes.

I am not sure if you could create a sustainable business model on
submission fees, but I never understood why open access journals
would not implement them.  It seems wholly unfair to charge only
the papers that make it "successfully" through the review process
to acceptance, while the majority of papers that are being
rejected (I am assuming this, but it may be a big assumption) get
a free ride through the process.  Maybe the submission fee could
be applied to the acceptance fee once the article is accepted --
this would be even fairer to the accepted authors.

I do not think submission fees encourage journals to accept
papers or increases the potential for abuse as some may have
claimed.  In a certain way, fees charged on acceptance only would
create a greater incentive for abuse and "acceptance" decisions
for less worthy papers.

Finally, charging submission fees may make authors think twice
before submitting a paper that may not be ready for prime time.
As a publisher, I often see authors submit articles too early
knowing that the chance of acceptance on the first submission is
low and hoping the reviewer can provide some constructive
feedback.  In talking to some journal editors, they feel that
submission fees is a rationing mechanism -- you are less likely
to submit a paper if there is a fee unless you feel it is ready
for the review process.

Thanks,

Zac Rolnik
now publishers