Re: "Overlay Journals" Over Again...

Sally is quite right about the two roles of peer review,
evaluation and relevance to audience. The latter is often
overlooked in these debates, and it's why arbitrary peer review
panels conceived without purpose and audience (in the
hypothetical debates, at least) don't stack up.

However, Stevan Harnad's original point was that for online
journals the critical remaining function is peer review rather
than distribution and access. In that case the second role is not
to be discarded but at least reconsidered. Online, new audiences
are being created on micro and macro levels. You can see this in
action everywhere in this sequence: blog, twitter, open Web
bookmark, open bibliographies, tag, feed, blog, etc. The
definition of online audiences and communities is less likely to
be journal-centred unless they are participating in providing
open access.

Steve Hitchcock
KeepIt Project Manager
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r@ecs.soton.ac.uk
http://preservation.eprints.org/keepit/
project blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/keepit/