Re: News about the Georgia State University fair use copyright case

So, the lesson to be learned here is that one can get away with
outrageous behavior in the past , free of penalty, so long as one
promises to be a good citizen in the future? This all sounds a
bit like what Scribd, a digital pirate of books, is promising
publishers now, asking them to forget and forgive all those past
transgressions. Some of us have long memories, however....

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

P.S. There are real questions about how much better this new GSU
system is, considering that it is based on a very mechanical
application of the fair-use factors, which I suspect many
universities would not want to emulate. GSU seems simply to have
moved from bad theory (on which its previous policy was based) to
bad practice.