Submission Fees (was: RE: "Overlay Journals" Over Again...)

The idea of submission fees is one that we at the California
Digital Library have also repeatedly attempted to advance in
recent years. Publishers frequently cite the steep rise in
submissions as a factor affecting their cost structure.  It makes
no sense that this activity is entirely subsidized by other
players in the publication chain.  Some recent modeling that we
have done at CDL - admittedly based on rough and preliminary
figures from a variety of sources - suggests that even very
modest submission fees, if implemented by publishes across the
board, would come close to completely covering the systemic cost
increases associated with the steady increase in publishing
output overall (another factor to which annual price rises for
journals are frequently attributed by some analysts).  If anyone
has studied this - i.e. the potential contribution that
submission fees would make to the cost of the scholarly
publishing system as a whole - with any rigor, I would be very
interested to see those data.

It's easy to understand how the current incentive system works
against this: what publisher will voluntarily disadvantage itself
in attracting submissions by imposing such fees if its
competitors do not? Nonetheless, as library budgets continue to
contract, the survival of scholarly publishing may just depend on
finding ways to distribute costs across a wider base.
Submission fees - even if modest ones - should be on the table.

Ivy Anderson
Director of Collections
California Digital Library
University of California, Office of the President
ivy.anderson@ucop.edu
http://cdlib.org