Usage Factor Project: Invitation to tender

********* Apologies for cross-posting *********

In 2007 the UKSG, a non-profit organisation that connects the
information community, in association with the online usage
metrics organisation COUNTER, launched a project to explore
whether online journal usage statistics might form the basis of a
new metric of journal value. In stage 1 of the project we
conducted extensive market research to establish the level of
support for such a metric and to identify what key issues would
need to be addressed.

Building upon the encouraging reactions revealed in the market
research, Stage 2 of the project now proposes to develop a
programme of data modelling and analysis that will use real usage
data from a number of content providers, with the aim of
identifying potential candidate metrics for longer term scaled up
testing.

Accordingly the project is now looking to commission a suitably
qualified organisation to conduct the required data modelling and
analysis. A formal Invitation to Tender (Request for Proposal)
for this work has now been issued and can be found on the project
site at http://www.uksg.org/usagefactors/rfp.

We encourage interested parties to read this document and, if you
feel you have the required skills and resources, to submit your
proposal in the manner outlined.

Deadline for receipt of responses is August 26, 2009.

Richard Gedye
Chair
UKSG Usage Factor Project