BioMed Central Press Release

** Apologies for Cross-Posting **

On 24-Jun-09, at 5:01 AM, Charlotte Webber (BioMed Central) wrote
in the press release appended in full after this posting):

> The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) now requires
> authors to publish research results into open access journals
> and also encourages dual submission into an institutional
> repository.

I invite readers to review the CIHR policy below and judge
whether the above is an accurate description of the policy or
self-serving spin by a commercial journal publisher (and IR
service-provider) promoting its product:

CIHR Policy on Access to Research Outputs:
http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/34846.html

-- Grant recipients are now required to make every effort to
ensure that their peer-reviewed publications are freely
accessible through the Publisher's website (Option #1) or an
online repository as soon as possible and in any event within six
months of publication (Option #2).

-- Under the second option, grant recipients must archive the
final peer-reviewed full-text manuscripts immediately upon
publication in a digital archive, such as PubMed Central or the
grantees institutional repository.

-- Publications must be freely accessible within six months of
publication, where allowable and in accordance with publisher
policies...

-- Grant recipients may also wish to submit their manuscripts to
a journal that provides immediate open access to published
articles (if a suitable journal exists). CIHR considers the cost
of publishing in open access journals to be an eligible expense
under the Use of Grant Funds.

Yes, the difference between the reality and the spin makes a
difference: a considerable difference. The underlying issue is
always the same: Should priority be given to requiring Green OA
self- archiving of all journal articles to make them OA, or to
publishing articles in Gold OA journals to make them OA?

No institution or funder on the planet "requires authors to
publish research results into open access journals"!

This is wishful thinking on the part of the publishers of open
access journals. And when put in the way it is put in this BMC
Press Release, it generates confusion at a time when OA mandates
are still few and what is needed is clarity, not self-serving
spin by commercial publishers promoting their Gold OA journals.

Of lesser consequence, but worthy of note, are two further points
related to the BMC press release:

(1)  "[T]he University's Supporter Membership with BioMed
Central" is an incoherent (and self-serving) subscription-like
notion that (if anyone gives it just a moment's careful thought)
cannot scale to the day when many, most or all journals and
publishers are Gold OA (10,000 universities "joining" the
publishers of 25,000 journals with individual annual
memberships). "Membership" only gives the illusion of making any
sense at all today, when a few Gold-OA journal-fleet publishers
like BMC (now part of Springer) are promoting it to short-
sighted and serials-stressed librarians: http://bit.ly/g62wK

(2) Re: "BioMed Central's "Open Repository" system... using
BioMed Central's extensive open access knowledge and technology
experience": I am of course all for promoting Institutional
Repositories (IRs); but one cannot but feel a touch sceptical
about the notion of a commercial Gold OA publisher "promoting"
IRs when IRs are -- and let us state this quite openly --
fundamentally in conflict with their primary commercial mission,
which is to promote their Gold OA product. Green OA simply means
author self-archiving of articles published in any journal at all
-- and most journals are non-OA journals, let alone BMC journals.
Hence it is inescapable that Green OA self-archiving is in
competition with Gold OA publishing at this time.

(Green OA will no longer be in competition with Gold OA once
Green OA mandates have prevailed globally, and if and when the
resulting universal Green OA eventually induces a universal
transition to Gold OA by making subscriptions unsustainable. But
today, for Gold OA publishers, promoting Green OA means promoting
a rival means of providing OA itself, and, especially for
commercial Gold OA publishers, that would be a bad business
strategy. "Don't buy my product, because you can get it elsewhere
for free." Hence the spin you see above.)

Full Disclosure: I promote and very strongly endorse University
of Southampton's "rival" IR system (Eprints); but Eprints is
noncommercial, free, and has, and always has had, only one
agenda, which is to promote universal Green OA, as quickly and as
effectively as possible. "Eprints Services," fee-based, is only
offered, reluctantly, as an option for those institutions who
insist that they do not wish to set up Eprints on their own, for
free; and Eprints Services revenues are used solely to sustain
and promote the use of the free software, and Green OA itself:
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/

Moreover, I would welcome BMC's Open Repository Service as an
ally, not a rival, if BMC ORS, too, could dedicate itself to the
straightforward promotion of universal Green OA, without the
obvious strains of conflict-of-interest evident in this press
release.

Stevan Harnad