Re: Article on arXiv

It may be useful to engage in a mental exercise, namely,
imagining what arXiv would look like if there were no longer any
physics or mathematics journals.  I am not suggesting that these
journals will disappear (though many observers believe they will)
but simply that thinking of arXiv as a "stand-alone" service may
teach us something about what repositories are for and what role
peer review will play.

If we had only arXiv and none of the journals in arXiv's primary
fields, what kind of technical features would the service sport?
How would authors be qualified to deposit articles?  Would
documents be placed in multiple repositories or just arXiv (but
not in the nonexistent journals)?  Would there be an "overlay" of
peer review--and what is an overlay anyway?  What would the
staffing of arXiv look like, in terms of numbers and experience?
Would Cornell continue to fund the operation?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I would be
very interested to hear the ideas of others.

Joe Esposito