Re: Another Elsevier marketing program gone astray

Not to defend Elsevier here, but gaming the review system at
Amazon (and other online shops that feature recommender systems)
is more common than you think. Other recommender systems, like
Ratemyprofessor.com are gamed by professors themselves.

A very good article, done by Shay David and Trevor Pinch is worth
the read:

David, S., & Pinch, T. (2006). Six degrees of reputation: The use
and abuse of online review and recommendation systems. First
Monday, 11(3).
http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/1315/1235

Abstract:

This paper reports initial findings from a study that used
quantitative and qualitative research methods and custom-built
software to investigate online economies of reputation and user
practices in online product reviews at several leading e-commerce
sites (primarily Amazon.com). We explore several cases in which
book and CD reviews were copied whole or in part from one item to
another and show that hundreds of product reviews on Amazon.com
might be copies of one another. We further explain the strategies
involved in these suspect product reviews, and the ways in which
the collapse of the barriers between authors and readers affect
the ways in which these information goods are being produced and
exchanged. We report on techniques that are employed by authors,
artists, editors, and readers to ensure they promote their
agendas while they build their identities as experts. We suggest
a framework for discussing the changes of the categories of
authorship, creativity, expertise, and reputation that are being
re-negotiated in this multi-tier reputation economy.

--Phil Davis