Emerald partners with Portico

We thought your readers would be interested in this agreement
with Portico.

Janet Fisher
PCG

Emerald to preserve e-journals with Portico

United Kingdom, June 15, 2009- Emerald Group Publishing is
pleased to announce its recent agreement with Portico. Portico
provides a service to permanently preserve scholarly research in
electronic form so that this information will remain accessible
to scholars in future years. Portico will receive Emerald content
via an electronic data feed, which they will convert to a
standardized archival format. They will maintain and operate the
archive on behalf of Emerald. Each new publication will be added
as and when published, with a view to archiving back issues in
the future.

This development will provide Emerald with security in the event
of potential loss and will provide Portico's participating
libraries with content if an incident occurs that causes the
material to be inaccessible from Emerald. Emerald joins the
growing list of publishers who have entrusted their e-journals
and e-books to the Portico archive.

Rebecca Marsh, Publishing Director for Emerald, comments,
"Emerald recognizes the importance of the long-term preservation
of its content to ensure that it is accessible to society at
large in perpetuity, whatever might happen in the future. Portico
provides a permanent archive of electronic journals and it is
clear that a large number of librarians value their service.
Therefore, we are very pleased to be partnering with Portico."

Eileen Fenton, Executive Director of Portico, noted that "We are
so pleased that Emerald now joins the hundreds of associations,
societies and publishers entrusting materials to the Portico
archive.  As reliance upon electronic scholarly publications
increases, so too does the importance of reliable preservation
partnerships and we are pleased to work with the community to
address this critical need."

A full list of e-journals and e-books committed to the Portico
archive is available at www.portico.org.

For further information about this agreement contact Holly
Shukla, Business Development Account manager, at
hshukla@emeraldinsight.com

-ENDS-