RE: OASPA welcomes Phil Davis's exercise

That's not a conflict of interest, David.  That's fraud.

Joe Esposito

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
On Behalf Of David Prosser
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 1:13 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: OASPA welcomes Phil Davis's exercise

Joe:

How about publishing the same papers in more than one
subscription journal without full acknowledgement of the fact
(something that Phil has highlighted previously)?

Or creating fake journals as marketing tools for large
pharmaceutical companies?

Or the complex relation in general between pharmaceutical
companies and journals?  See Richard Smiths article in the BMJ
(http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7400/1202 - free, but
registration required).  He says, for example:

'Studies have shown that papers published in supplements [paid
for by the drug companies] are of poorer quality than those
published in the main journal.'

Sounds just a bit like a conflict of interest to me.

COPE has a Code of Conduct outlining the need for editorial
independence, free from the financial needs of journals, exactly
because such conflicts exist and always have done.

David