Re: Building collections at all

This reminds me of several conversations when we were building an
academic library automated resource sharing system 30 years ago.
A group of library directors was working with the Board of Higher
Education to secure funds to improve interinstitutional document
delivery.

One of the higher ed guys was an engineer with experience in
designing inventory control systems. I remember one time when he
suggested that when a book was requested by an institution the
book should just stay at the borrowing institution because the
borrowing transaction meant that someone there was interested in
the topic.

Some of the other higher ed people were in favor of a real hard
core cooperative collection development agreement where
individual libraries collected only in designated core areas and
relied on other libraries to fill in the gaps. These guys
believed that the statewide "mega-collection" would be much
richer if libraries spent less of their acquisitions dollars
buying titles duplicated in other libraries.

They had a lot of ideas about how improved interinstitutional
resource discovery and document delivery could change library
operations. The ideas basically centered on not buying a given
title on the off chance a local patron might use it, if you knew
that title would be available from another library if/when
needed. They were taking a fresh look at collection building, and
I thought some of their ideas made good sense.

But most of the library directors came from backgrounds where the
campus library was considered pretty much a "local" thing, and
where collections were built "speculatively" just in case a local
user might need the item. Some of the higher ed folks ideas made
them nervous. They never really bought in.

Bernie Sloan