Building collections at all (Re: Building collections in a bad economy)

> collection-building in these very difficult times and have been
> struck by the fact that there is little discussion of testing
> on-demand services.

Joe, there is a actually quite a lot of discussion going on in
the library world around this issue, and experiments are in fact
being conducted.  Greg and Scott have both alluded to some of
them.  At my institution we're in the second phase of a fairly
large-scale experiment with on-demand ebook purchasing using a
system whereby many ebook records are loaded into our catalog and
only those that are actually used by patrons get purchased and
added to our permanent collection -- records for the unused
titles eventually disappear.  A good number of other research
libraries are conducting similar tests.  We're also looking very
seriously at purchasing an Espresso Book Machine, which would
allow us to print and bind books on demand -- selling them to
patrons where ownership is desired, and adding them to our
collections (with exceptions) where it isn't.  (Given our
relatively poor track record at guessing what people will want,
demonstrated patron interest in a particular title seems like as
good a collecting criterion as any.)

Here's the really radical question, though: why are most of us
building permanent collections at all anymore?  As Greg pointed
out, in very many cases we can now respond to patrons' expressed
needs quickly enough that buying speculatively seems like a poor
use of money -- especially in the current budget environment.
It's already kind of silly for patrons to use our catalogs as
discovery tools, since any library's collection represents only a
tiny fraction of the material that is actually available on any
given topic.  Since our patrons tend now to be searching through
a much larger segment of the information universe than we could
ever hope to collect ahead of time, why don't we focus on fast
fulfillment rather than wasting money on stuff no one wants?

Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dir. For Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library
Univ. of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu