Re: The Argument Against (Premature) Gold OA Support

On 15-Jun-09, at 7:03 PM, Robert Richards richards1000 --
comcast.net wrote:

> this empirical claim [that a Gold OA subsidy is needed to reach
> consensus on adopting a Green OA mandate] could be tested
> empirically, say, by surveying the institutions that have not
> implemented Green OA respecting what they consider to be the
> necessary conditions for persuading them to implement Green OA.

An even simpler way to test it is to see what proportion of the
85 Green OA mandates adopted to date include a Gold OA subsidy.
(Harvard's for example, does not; nor do most of the others...)

An enterprising student is encouraged to look at the "policy
details" link in ROARMAP

http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/policysignup/

for each of the 85 policies to date. Institional/Departmental
tallies should probably considered separately from funder tallies
(and thesis mandates should probably be left out of this
reckoning).

Stevan Harnad