Re: The App Store Effect

I agree that the picture is complex, and made doubly so in a time
when customer expectations are changing quite rapidly. What is at
issue is not the amount that a journal or book (or article) is
being charged, but the perception of that charge - whether it is
felt to be acceptable or not. In STM publishing there was a
traditional perception that free meant poor quality, however this
has been completely overturned in the last 10 years.

I remember being told of an ailing journal in the late 1970s,
where the time had come to decide whether to close it. Instead,
the publishing editor (a very well-respected publisher now)
decided to triple its cover price with the argument that even if
they lost a few subscribers, they would still increase the
revenues sufficiently to make the finances work. The result was
that the number of subscribers actually increased - quite
dramatically - and the journal is now a well-established and
respected title.

However, I very much doubt that this policy would work today!

Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting - www.pspconsulting.org
Tel: +44 1865 864255
Mob: +44 7775 627688
Skype: pippasmart