From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Caroline Sutton
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 3:42 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: OASPA welcomes Phil Davis's exercise

On behalf of OASPA I wish to express that OASPA in no way wishes
to undermine the excercise carried out by Phil Davis, and that
the use of the word 'prank' was in no way meant to be derogatory
(our use of the word was more inspired by Richard Feynman who was
quite keen on pranks).

To the contrary, we welcome his exercise as it demonstrates how
important sound, ethical publishing practices are and the
important role OASPA can play.

Our intention in reacting to the debate surrounding Phil Davis's
original piece is to assure the community that the reported
actions of one open access publisher are not indicative of the
community of OA publishers at large, the majority of which are
scholars themselves.  We recognize that there are potential
conflicts of interest associated with all publishing models and
we recognize that peer review is a critical element of upholding
trust among the research community.

It is important for both scholars and publishers to be vigilant
regarding any abuses of the publishing system. Indeed, one of the
scholar publishers on our board, Gunther Eysenbach, was perhaps
the first to comment on the behavior of some open access
publishers long before this debate:  see e.g.
http://gunther-eysenbach.blogspot.com/2008/03/black-sheep-among-open-access-
journals.html

Our concerns regarding possible abuses was one of the important
incentives behind establishing OASPA and the reason why we have
developed a Code of Conduct.  On behalf of OASPA, I would also
call upon Bentham to address the important questions raised in
the debate surrounding this incident and in particular to clarify
their peer review policies.

Caroline Sutton, PhD