RE: OASPA responds to submission prank in OA journal

If Mr Mahmood Alam wishes to re-read the OASPA blog item he will
see that at no point is it suggested that the paper was
published.  It was apparently accepted for publication in a
journal published by Bentham Science before the author, Phil
Davis, withdrew it.

But as Mr Alam is monitoring this discussion, perhaps he can
enlighten us as to the more serious issues at question.  Was this
paper peer-reviewed before acceptance?  By how many people?
Were these reviewers external to Bentham or part of Bentham
staff? What, if any, action is Bentham taking to improve its
reviewing procedures?

Speaking as an OASPA Board member, it was never the intention to
tarnish Phil Davis' whistleblowing abilities and if words such as
'spoof' or 'hoax' are preferred to 'prank' then I can't imagine
anybody at OASPA objecting.

David

Director, SPARC Europe
Tel:      +44 (0) 1865 277 614