Wiley follow up - Good news for UST

Follow up on Wiley (apologies for the cross-posting)

I wanted to get back to the lists on which I posted my original
Wiley communication.

I am happy to report that Wiley got back to me directly the day
after the original post. The other happy news is that St. Thomas
will be treated as a single site permitting us to sign the BAL
license (Basic Access License) and not be required to use the EAL
(Enhanced Access License).

We have looked at the language of both licenses closely to see
what best serves the University of St. Thomas. We are grateful
for the opportunity to choose rather than be locked into a kind
of license because of a multi-site designation. I wish that
everyone had the choice.

It appears to us that the BAL will meet all of our needs. We've
read the license, the EBSCO license detail and looked at the
Wiley FAQ.  The only difference we can tell is that in the BAL,
ILL is not explicit, but it is inferred and electronic
course-packs are not explicit but they are also inferred. More
than silent on the matter, the language permits the activities
without so naming them.

We worried about two more areas: access in perpetuity for the
content purchased (to obviate the need for purchasing paper, too)
and usage data. The license, the FAQ and EBSCO's review all
indicate that we have access in perpetuity to subscribed data
either by their supplying archival copy or continued access
online. I would imagine, although it is not stated, that as
longas we have any online Wiley content we will have access to
purchased content online.  While we subscribe we have access back
to 1997, if available. I would not expect them to continue access
to unpurchased content after cancellation.

Usage data: This is a change. At one point the EAL was required
for usage data but that is no longer true. Both the FAQ and the
license indicate that BAL license users will have usage data.

The benefits they list at their FAQ for all subscribers: Free
access to Counter-compliant usage data; unlimited concurrent
users, free course-pack and walk-in user access; content back to
1997 where available and perpetual access to content back to
1997.

We have a few things to negotiate with Wiley - our institution
prefers licenses to be silent on governing law if we can't have
Minnesota and we would like to have a co-signed license.  But in
all the important ways, we are thrilled with the BAL.

So, these are our experiences.  This is all good for UST.

I thought I would share some of the comments I got back from
colleagues from various lists.  Because some were directed just
to me, I am going to have them all be anonymous.

Overall, what I see is that Wiley has replaced Elsevier as the
least valued 'partner' in the scholarly communication chain.
Because we have a choice, we are comfortable doing business with
Wiley.

*******

"Good for you. The root cause of the crisis in scholarly
communication is the absurdist price demands of big publishing."

*******

"The answer is for libraries simply to say they won't pay, and if
that means that for a year or so they have to do without
so-called 'must have' content, so be it."

*******

"The multi-site definition of Wiley is less than helpful.  I have
ranted about this last year on this list and on lis-e-journals,
when they wanted to inflict their unworkable definitions also on
those sites that had existing agreements with Blackwell. It is
not helpful at all if institutions that formerly were treated as
single-site by Blackwell are now suddenly considered multi-site
by Wiley-Blackwell."

*******

"Wiley-Blackwell - please wake-up and offer conditions that are
workable, especially during the current recession."

*******

"This is exactly the kind of flexibility that ICOLC asked for in
its latest Statement on the Global Economic Crisis and Its Impact
on Consortial Licenses The principles suggested there are not
only valid in the consortial context."

"Principle 1:  Flexible pricing that offers customers real
options, including the ability to reduce expenditures without
disproportionate loss of content, will be the most successful.
In stable times, standardized pricing and terms may work
relatively well.  Today, purchasers will be under heavy pressure
to reduce their outlays and need solutions that let them do so
while continuing to offer as much content and service as
possible.  It is in the publisher best interest that we avoid
all-or-nothing, take-it-or-leave-it decisions and options, whose
lack of flexibility is likely to result in far greater damage
than is absolutely necessary.

"Principle 2:  It is in the best interest of both publishers and
consortia to seek creative solutions that allow licenses to
remain as intact as possible, without major content or access
reductions.  Content, once discontinued, will be very difficult
to reinstate at a later date. While there may be practical limits
to this principle, publishers, authors, scholars, and libraries
will be best served by those solutions that retain as much access
to as much content as possible."

*******

"...by all means, if a publisher is inflexible in this way, just
get out of the contract and cancel all what you can, including
duplicates if you still have any. But talk to your university
library board first, and get their approval.... There was a clear
willingness [here] to accept a period of reduced access in
exchange for a sustainable system."

********

"Don't worry. It's not the end of the world, if you have to
cancel a lot of subscriptions from one of those big publishers.
Concentrate on deals with publishers who offer effective
collections and are flexible enough to accommodate your needs."

*******

  "Thank you Linda for slogging through this and sharing it with
all of us. I have read that in the past their BAL had hidden
costs and consequences in an attempt to force us into the EAL
model so we need to monitor it closely."

*******

"The Wiley World gives me a headache."

"I am sorry that Wiley has (to say the least) been less than
forward thinking in their negotiations with you, and I admire the
strong stance that you have taken!"

"I can say that we also suffered from the Wiley takeover. "

*******

"As far as them considering you a multi-site license and forcing
you into an EAL, as well as the rigid nature of the EAL in
general, it is all just so evil and unethical."

*******

"...by moving to Online Only subscriptions, but having a Basic,
instead of Enhanced License, we have NO ACCESS TO USAGE DATA!!!!"
[N. B.: We're reading the licenses closely to see if this is
true.]

*******

"It is the most ridiculous "rule" I have ever heard of and can
only have been put into place to try and force clients into the
Enhanced Access License."

*******

"I have passed this letter on to all of our faculty in the
library.  I was glad to see that we are not alone in our
troubles."

*******

"We are going to have to make cuts for our FY11 year.  I will
strongly recommend that we start with titles held by publishers
that are not willing to work with libraries.  The publishers are
only hurting themselves with these attitudes as the library is
their biggest customer.  (Publishers, are you listening?)"

*******

"We have a consortial arrangement for our Wiley titles.  Every
year, it is a nightmare.  Wiley is difficult to work with and
their system is confusing .  I would not shed a tear of remorse
if we were to drop every Wiley title.  (Also Elsevier for that
matter)"

*******

"Enhanced Access License vs. Basic Access License (BAL):
Oxymoron, a figure of speech by which a locution produces an
incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect (Compliments of
dictionary.reference.com)."

*******

"Thanks for standing up to them. I know it's hard, it's really
painful, but someone has to start."

*******

"... Blackwell titles, which of course are no longer any good
because of Wiley's lack of foresight in honoring their agreement
to keep Blackwell titles as is."

*******

"Good job! There is no other publisher right now as detestable as
Wiley -- none. Elsevier is looking downright cuddly in
comparison. When I go to serials librarian meetings with other
librarians in my consortium, the first thing we all do is a
collective vent about Wiley..."

*******

Thank you for all your comments and commiseration and for Wiley
being willing to reconsider our status as a single site.

Linda Hulbert, Associate Director
  Collection Management and Services
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library #5004
University of Saint Thomas