Wiley EAL license

Dear license gurus (please excuse the duplicate postings)

Another company is looking at the Elsevier model and using it.
Unfortunately, unlike Elsevier where a library might get more
content than they could pay for and unlike Elsevier which does
not require that a library participate, Wiley is requiring all
multi-site libraries to have a no-cancellation, minimum life time
spend.  Add insult to injury, we are not a multi-site library by
any other vendor's definition!  But Wiley has designated us so.
Without recourse.

So, I am sending this letter to many, many people at Wiley and in
the library community. Please, help resist these kinds of
publisher practices.

*****

I am writing to you today in your capacity as someone concerned
with [higher education, customer service] at John Wiley and Sons.

Wiley provides an EAL license which has three major features: two
year agreement, a guaranteed minimum spend (no cancellations
without adding titles) (ala Elsevier) and, for that 'lock-in,'
libraries will have a cap on the annual inflationary increases.
Wiley requires multi-site libraries - which they have declared we
are - enter into an EAL license for electronic journal content.

We have two problems with this rigid requirement:

1.     Wiley is now treating my university as a multi-campus
university. Let me assure you that all other vendors treat us a
single site because, while we have libraries in Minneapolis and
St. Paul, we have a single IP address, single president, and a
single Accounts Payable for all campuses (including Rome which
has 4 seminarians studying abroad!).

2.     The EAL license is required for all online journal content
we purchase from Wiley/Blackwell in 2010. Currently, our
online-only spend is about $3,000, our print +online is over
$33,000, and our total spend is about $66,000 for journal content
with Wiley.  What does that mean for the University of St.
Thomas?  We would not be able to cancel - i.e. lower our
'current' spend. That means that as tuition dollars dry up, as
the university's contribution to the libraries shrink, we cannot
cancel titles in the Wiley contract. It's ironic that while we
would be locked into a multi-year contract during these
incredibly unpredictable and difficult financial times, Wiley
could change their title list at will - buying or selling titles
as the market dictates.

We have spoken with your representative, Diane Conroy, and there
are no alternatives IF we want online journal content from Wiley.
She is adamant.

Hence, our only option is to cancel all of our online content. I
assume that is not Wiley's goal but the only one we see available
to us since we cannot agree to a multi-year, dollar spend
commitment.  We will cancel what we can - I can see about $30,000
in cancellations (27 titles) without too much pain. We will
purchase print-only in the cases where we have had print +online
and we will cancel our online-only and move back to print-only.
As we all know, even good content that is print-only will become
marginalized by our users and as it does, we'll easily be able to
justify canceling the remaining print titles. And, of course, we
will not be purchasing new journal content from Wiley.

When September comes, if we have no agreement with Wiley for 2010
permitting cancellation and permitting single year subscriptions,
we will have to take these draconian steps.

I will be sharing this letter with the Wiley board of directors,
others in Wiley management, the serials community, the licensing
community and other colleagues in the library community.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

CC:  Warren J. Baker, President
              California Polytechnic State University
Bonnie Lieberman,
   Senior Vice-President for Higher Education
   John Wiley and Sons
Clifford Kline, Senior Vice-President
   Customer Service and Distribution
   John Wiley and Sons