Re: Blog vs. Peer Review Final Report: Lessons Learned

Robert Richards said:

"Moreover, often the dissemination of ideas in these new media
becomes an end in itself: for example, many an influential
scholarly blog post never leads to a formally published scholarly
work."

That reminds me of an experience I had. Once I was playing around
with some data comparing citations on the web to citations in the
Web of Science. It was very preliminary stuff. I put a very brief
description of the results on a web page.

This web page wound up being cited seven times in the Web of
Science: twice in JASIST, twice in the Journal of Information
Science, twice in Online Information Review, and once in College
and Research Libraries. I have had some formally published papers
that have only been cited once or twice in WoS.

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates