Re: Blog vs. Peer Review Final Report: Lessons Learned

I agree with Dr. Watkinson respecting changes in scholarly
workflow.  I think that one significant change in scholarly work
flow is the dissemination of scholarly ideas and resources
through informal genres such as preprints and preprint services
(such as RePEc), microblogs (like Twitter), blogs, listservs,
social network tools like Mendeley, certain datasets, and
podcasts, which allow for informal peer review and peer
commentary throughout the entire lifecycle of a scholarly
project.  Often these communications express scholarly ideas at a
much earlier stage in the scholarly work process than previously
enabled by colloquia and conference papers.  Further, because the
audience for these new media is much greater than the audience
for traditional media, scholars using the new media can receive
much more input much earlier in the scholarly process.  The new
media thus enable the integration of "crowdsourcing" into the
scholarly process in many disciplines.  Relatedly, the new media
and communications networks make possible long-distance
collaboration as never before, and permit an in-progress
scholarly project to incorporate new ideas and new personnel
(e.g., to morph from a one-person, two-concept,
single-disciplinary project, to a four-person, seven-concept,
multi-disciplinary project) in a very short time, again in a
manner not possible using traditional media.

Moreover, often the dissemination of ideas in these new media
becomes an end in itself: for example, many an influential
scholarly blog post never leads to a formally published scholarly
work.  Finally, in recognition of the scholarly value of these
informal new media communications, there are efforts in many
disciplines to grant faculty credit towards tenure or post-tenure
review for work disseminated via these new media.

For perspectives from the legal community, see, e.g., Jan Ryan
Novak & Leslie A. Pardo, The Evolving Nature of Faculty
Publications, 26 LEGAL REFERENCE SERVICES Q. 209 (2007)
(Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Research Paper No. 07-134)
(Feb. 2007), available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=961879 ; Jack
M. Balkin, Online Legal Scholarship: The Medium and the Message,
116 Yale L. J. Pocket Part 20 (2006), available at
http://www.thepocketpart.org/2006/09/06/balkin.html ; Lawrence B.
Solum, Download It While It's Hot: Open Access and Legal
Scholarship, 10 LEWIS & CLARK L. REV. 841, 860-61 (2006), also
available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=957237 ; Symposium on Legal
Blogs, 84 WASH. U.L. REV. No. 2 (2006), also available at
http://lawreview.wustl.edu/inprint/84-5/ .

In addition, two very interesting articles on legal scholarship
and new media, one of them recently published: Stephanie L.
Plotin, Legal Scholarship, Electronic Publishing, and Open
Access: Transformation or Steadfast Stagnation?, 101 LAW LIBR. J.
31 (2009), also available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1350138 ;
J. Robert Brown, Jr., Blogs, Law School Rankings, and "The Race
to the Bottom" (Univ. of Denver Sturm Coll. of Law Legal Research
Paper Series No. 07-33, 2007), available at
http://ssrn.com/abstract=1003425

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D., M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Law Librarian & Legal Information Consultant
Philadelphia, PA
richards1000@comcast.net