Re: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Budget Cuts

I don't share Robert's doomsday view of the future of the
monograph either. As I've written recently in Against the Grain
(April), "The Hidden Digital Revolution in Scholarly Publishing,"
POD, SRDP, and the "long tail" have given a new lease on life to
scholarly monograph publishing and solved two of the hitherto
nagging problems of the publishing industry:  excess inventories
and insufficient cash flow. So, it should be possible to carry on
with traditional monograph publishing, even with sales much
reduced from times past, for some years to come.

It is important to emphasize, however, in response to Fred's
comment, that the type of peer review that university presses
conduct for books is unlike the systems used for journal
publishing, for society publishing, and for "community" review.
There is also no counterpart to it in commercial academic book
publishing, whether or not commercial publishers use "expert"
reviewers.

The reason is that, uniquely, university presses employ inputs
from three different sources: their acquiring editors, their
expert external reviewers, and their faculty editorial boards.
Each of these brings a different set of skills and perspectives
to the process. Acquiring editors tend to bring a more eclectic
range of specialized knowledge to their jobs of selecting and
assessing than external scholarly reviewers do, and they tend to
have a preference for championing new directions in research and
to help younger scholars advance in their careers. Faculty
editorial boards consist of experts in various fields, but seldom
is their very special expertise brought to bear in their roles on
editorial boards since presses publish in a far broader range of
topics than any small number of faculty on their boards can
pretend to be really expert about; so, on these boards, such
faculty act more as generalists, broadly representing viewpoints
from the different disciplines and sectors (arts, humanities,
social sciences, natural sciences, professional schools) in which
they are enmeshed. Mostly these are senior faculty and, as such,
tend to have a bias for the established wisdom in their fields.
Thus, as between acquiring editors and editorial board members,
there is often an interesting dynamic at work whereby
cutting-edge research challenges established authority. Into this
mix come the reports solicited from the external experts.  No one
of these three sources completely dominates the process: the
decisions made reflect a complex blending of the diverse views
these three groups bring to the table.

This, of course, differs starkly from the decisionmaking that
goes on in journal peer reviewing, wherein experts in the special
field a journal is publishing in serve as both the journal
editors and the expert reviewers. There is no "generalist"
perspective represented here, as the journal publishers do not
get involved in the detailed peer review at all, other than
providing a system for managing it. (This is why the claim by STM
journal publishers that the peer review they conduct is being
appropriated by NIH rings false for the most part; they may pay
the journal editors, and in a very few cases have some of their
staff involved directly in the assessment process, but generally
it is only their "management" of the process that they control,
not the real process of peer review itself.) Similarly, when
professional societies run journals or monograph series, they are
doing so much more on the model of journal peer review than
university press decisionmaking about what books to publish,
since they have no counterpart of the press's acquiring editor or
faculty editorial board. (Their monograph series will likely have
an editorial board, but it consists, unlike a university press
editorial board, solely of experts in the subject of the series.)

The uniqueness of the process of selecting books to publish by
university presses is ill understood outside university press
publishing circles, but it behooves everyone--especially those in
libraries who might want to establish publishing operations of
their own--to realize how complex and multifaceted a process this
is, and why it is not just journal peer reviewing writ large.

I elaborate more on the special features of this process in "The
'Value Added' in Editorial Acquisitions," Journal of Scholarly
Publishing (January 1999), esp. pp. 69-71:
http://www.psupress.org/news/pdf/THEVAL~1.PDF