Re: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Planned or Potential Budget Cuts

Sandy:

Thanks for the great questions.  Here are some thoughts:

*The revenues from monograph sales will likely get even worse, if
the preliminary evidence from the trade market is any indication:
see NYT: http://bit.ly/A1mV2 ; Idealog: http://bit.ly/XmcMc ; PW:
http://bit.ly/YxhLP .  That suggests that the scholarly monograph
won't survive, because it can't garner the volume that will
likely enable some trade monographs to eke it out at $9.99 or
less.

*I think that the scholarly-monograph-in-the-form-of-an-article
collection is going be disaggregated and sold as individual
digital articles, in conjunction with periodical articles, on
demand, and in whatever configuration replaces The Deal;

*I think that the genuine, full-length scholarly monograph,
respecting which each chapter constitutes part of an organic
whole, will die for the most part, with the exception of
OA-author-pays titles, respecting which the author's department
or grant funds 100% of the production cost.  Mellon and other
foundations may decide to continue to fund genuine scholarly
monographs, but these will likely be very few in number.

It's over.  Our beloved, high-quality, traditional scholarly
publishing regime is completely collapsing.

Robert Richards
richards1000@comcast.net