RE: Merck published fake journal

Matt Cockerill is not on lib-license, but has given permission to
post on the following comment:

Ian,

I think you really answer your own question, in terms of how/why
open access journals will strive to maintain and improve quality.

"What often seems to be ignored is that the journals market is
fiercely competitive - the competition is for good papers from
good authors who will improve the standard of the journal and
that is why wise journals will resist the temptation to accept
low quality work irrespective of their business model"

OA journals need to attract authors, and authors (even more than
subscribers) are attracted by Impact Factors and other measures
of prestige. When a journal gets a good impact factor, BioMed
Central's experience is that the number of manuscript submissions
can triple almost overnight. What stronger motivation could there
be for ensuring quality standards in order to develop and retain
the prestige necessary to attract authors?

Matthew Cockerill, Ph.D.
Managing Director
BioMed Central