Re: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Planned or Potential Budget Cuts

Gold OA in theory sounds nice, but in practice will it work? As a
press director who is constantly scrambling to find subsidies for
individual book titles, I'm not optimistic about universities
providing a pot of money that, year in and year out, will be
available to fund Gold OA journal publishing. Nor is this a role
that most foundations, a few like Wellcome excepted, seem ready
to undertake.

Indeed, for one discipline, art history, the subsidy sources for
books have all but disappeared over the past year. Getty, once a
major funder, announced last June that it would no longer provide
book subsidies at all.  The Kress Foundation, another major
source, is no longer providing subsidies directly to publishers,
has cut back its funding in any case, and is asking some
scholarly associations to serve as a conduit, where those
association seem to have the flexibility to use the money to fund
research and other activities besides publication.

The College Art Association just announced that it was suspending
book subsidies through its Meiss Fund for 2009-2010 in the face
of severe budget problems.  The future of art book publishing,
where most books require subsidies to be published, is now in
serious jeopardy. Several of the former major players, like the
presses at Cambridge and Princeton, have either abandoned the
field altogether or cut way back on their output. There are only
a few of us serious scholarly art book publishers left in the
business, and this blow to our major sources of subsidies
threatens the entire discipline with a bookless future.

In light of what is happening in just this one field, does anyone
seriously believe that it will be possible to build and sustain a
Gold OA publishing model in the humanities for journals?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press