RE: Merck published fake journal

David and all:

Alas there are temptations involved in all business models. It
was my understanding that Elsevier immediately condemned the
"fake journal" published some time ago. Anyone who works in
publishing or who has once worked in publishing must be aware of
the pressures that will have led to this improper publication and
also that such a publication can be done without proper
management approval - which is what Elsevier claim.

My complaint about irony was the suggestion that that such
practices may be common in Elsevier.

There must be a temptation to those who publish large numbers of
new OA author paid journals with very few submissions to (let us
say) lower standards. I have not checked out these journals and
do not know whether this is in fact going on, but if I was
running a company which was going down the tubes I would be
tempted.

I am not making covert attacks on BMC, or PLOS or Hindawi or
publishers like that, and I certainly will not provide any names,
but the academic communities know them.

Anthony Watkinson