Re: Merck published fake journal

Irony lovers, like myself, will also enjoy pointing out how
behaviour such as Merck's and Elsevier's as described in this
thread taints the whole scientific communication process. There
is nothing surprising here: when profit seeking is mixed with
truth seeking, shenanigans multiply. This is sub-prime publishing
at best, designed to satsify stock holders, not researchers. What
is surprising is that some people seem surprised by it. For
money, many people will simply do anything.

The faster scientific publishing is freed from commercial
considerations, the better. Now is the right moment because the
present economic crisis has awaken all of us from the dreamy
situation that posited the fetishism of holy markets
(oligopolistic markets at that, another ironic comment).

Jean-Claude Guedon

PS If repentence is a stain, then we should disqualify Saint Paul from
Christianity... (and quite a few others as well).

PPS Peer review is not done only or exclusively by editors. As its name
indicates, peer review is often carried out by ... peers, i.e.
colleagues. We need to organize peer review to make it work as well as
possible. We do not need commercial publishers to organize peer review,
however.

Jean-Claude Guedon
Universite de Montreal