Re: University of Maryland's Open Access Deliberations

IMHO you are completely wrong.

Why is OA a problem with the latest research in medicine, and
particularly the "latest" research? And, if true, it is a problem
for whom? Some publishers perhaps, but what about researchers and
students everywhere?

Why is talking about OA in fields other than medicine nonsense?

I simply do not understand the thrust of this posting.

Jean-Claude Guedon

Le lundi 04 mai 2009 a 22:22 -0400, Ari Belenkiy a ecrit :

>> There is enough evidence that OA increases sales:
>> http://delicious.com/Klausgraf/monograph_open_access
>>
>> Klaus Graf
>>
>> 2009/5/1 Sandy Thatcher <sgt3@psu.edu>:
>>
>>> How does one even begin to measure the "economic value" of OA
>>> for, say, a work of literary criticism or a monograph on
>>> Hume's philosophy? We scholarly publishers would dearly like
>>> to believe that spreading our specialized content freely
>>> worldwide would be a benefit to civilization, but this is an
>>> article of faith for us, not something we have any easy way of
>>> quantifying economically.
>
> Right, it is clear that OA is a problem with the latest research
> in Medicine and must be restricted to it.
>
> Talking about necessity of OA in other fields is just nonsense.
> Am I right?
>
> Ari Belenkiy
> Bar-Ilan University

Jean-Claude Guedon