Usage reporting (was: Seven ARL Libraries)

Chris Beckett wrote: "It would be interesting to understand how
these two contrasting positions [of reporting journal usage
statistics] can be reconciled."

Both the Research Information Network and the Rockefeller
University reports seem correct.  The RIN report is based upon
measuring *rare and infrequent* downloading events, whereas the
Rockefeller report is based on the *concentration* of such
events.

The correct question would ask which type of reporting is a more
accurate representation of library (or institutional) value.
And this is where things get a little more complicated, because
each type of reporting reflects a different emphasis of value.

The concentration model implies that overall value for an
institution can be maximized at a given expense.  Plot the
cumulative downloads against cumulative expense and you have a
graph that can tell you how much value (i.e. downloads or
journals) can be purchased for a given price.  The graph
illustrates the law of diminishing returns -- more value comes
with acceleratingly expenses.

The rare-and-infrequent events model supports the same thinking
that goes behind comprehensive collection development, that
libraries should be spending money on just-in-case models because
information requests cannot be fully predicted and libraries
should support esoteric research.  There are many resources at
libraries which are used even less frequently than one-in-four
months (although I do question the arbitrary selection of
4-months).

So both models are truthful, although they only tell a small part
of the overall story of usage and value.  The concentration view
looks only at the head of the distribution; the rare and
infrequent view only looks at the long tail.  A cynic would say
that people make up their minds first and then select the right
statistics to report.  A pragmatist would say that both views
should be reported.

--Phil Davis

Chris' full post: