Re: Electronic or print: Publishing in 3D

Further to this discussion thread, I wanted to bring to your
attention a recent development at the /Journal of Cell Biology/.

We recently developed the /JCB DataViewer
(http://jcb-dataviewer.rupress.org/), a browser-based viewer for
multi-dimensional image data (i.e., it allows visualization of
data acquired from high-end microscopes, where a cell can be
imaged in three dimensions over time). This allows our authors to
present data pertinent to their publication in an unprecedented
manner that cannot be reproduced in print. Readers of the journal
can then interact with the data, and gain a much more detailed
understanding of what is being presented.

For details see the Editorial, 'Announcing the/ JCB DataViewer/,
a browser-based application for viewing original image files':
(http://jcb.rupress.org/cgi/content/full/183/6/969)

I hope this is of interest.

Emma Hill PhD
Executive Editor, The Journal of Cell Biology
Rockefeller University Press
ehill@rockefeller.edu
Tel: 212-327-8011