Re: University of Maryland's Open Access Deliberations

I agree with Sandy that quantifying economic value (in addition
to scholarly value) in the dissemination of research is not easy
but it is possible, even in the humanities. One example is that
making the quality of an institution's research output visible
attracts new research grants or new fee-paying students. The
situation is not that quantifying economic value is impossible
but that few of the major stakeholders are accustomed to thinking
in that way. Researchers concentrate upon personal value such as
tenure; publishers concentrate upon the value of income in
relation to costs; and librarians concentrate upon the value of
the number of titles in relation to expenditure. Of the major
stakeholders institutions and funding agencies come closest to
looking at economic value as well as at scholarly value.

My view is that scholarly publishers such as university presses
would benefit from adopting a wider approach to value, not
abandoning their emphasis upon scholarly value (because the
economic value of their publications depends upon scholarly
value), but adding to their arsenal of arguments for support. A
starting-point can be the Houghton/Oppenheim report for JISC on
"Economic Implications of Alternative Publishing Models",
much-criticised by some publishers but can be seen as an
opportunity by others.

Fred Friend
JISC Scholarly Communication Consultant
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL