Re: Seven ARL Libraries Face Major Planned or Potential Budget Cuts

With regard to the library funding crisis, an editorial was
published on Monday in the three journals of the Rockefeller
University Press to inform research scientists about this major
problem facing their libraries.  Although librarians have been
aware of the problem for years, I think it is important for their
constituents to be alerted.

Title: A challenge to Goliath

Abstract: Megapublishers obligate librarians to buy hundreds of
journals they do not need in order to access the journals their
constituents actually read. The time has come to challenge this
business model, which is unsustainable for the libraries.

Full text:

http://jcb.rupress.org/cgi/content/full/jcb.200904082v1
or
http://jem.rupress.org/cgi/content/full/jem.20090836