Re: Abundant information, libre open access and information literacy

If I understand correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong),
in her post of March 26, Heather Morrison argued that in order
for users to obtain the right to engage in data mining or
"hand-creating review articles incorporating . . . the original
articles," the publications that are the object of such data
mining or "hand-creating" must be "free-to- reuse."  It's unclear
to me whether Heather Morrison intended this statement as an
empirical assertion or a prescriptive assertion.

Then, in a post of March 27, Sally Morris made an empirical
assertion, that "'Free to Reuse' is NOT what is needed for text
mining, etc - in fact such content doesn't even need to be free
to access. What it does need, though, is rigorous structuring and
adherence to standards (for both text and data)."

I agree with Sally Morris's assertion, because (a) I am certain
that many authors have created review articles by utilizing
statutory, case law, or administrative law 'fair use' provisions,
e.g., the fair use provisions of 17 U.S.C. sec. 107, that do not
grant the right to freely reuse the copyrighted content (one can
verify this by reading those articles and reading the applicable
law); and (b) I am certain that many institutions and individuals
have obtained the right to engage in data mining by the grant of
licenses that did not convey the right to freely reuse the
licensed content (one can verify this by examining the executed
license agreements, or by observing such data mining that is
governed by an implied license). Under U.S. law, a license is
usually unnecessary for creation of a review article because such
an article usually requires only the use of short excerpts of the
original articles, and that use is generally permitted by the
fair use statute.

The blog post at
http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=1769
appears to make a number of prescriptive statements respecting
access to publications and data.  None of those statements
appears to challenge Sally Morris's empirical assertion that data
mining and the creation of review articles have been and continue
to be enabled by legal provisions and licenses that do not convey
the right to freely reuse copyrighted content.  I honestly don't
think that Sally Morris's empirical assertion can be refuted,
because of the wealth of evidence supporting it.  If Klaus Graf
has empirical evidence to challenge that empirical assertion,
what is it?

The statements above do not constitute legal advice or legal
representation.

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Law Librarian & Legal Information Consultant
Philadelphia, PA
richards1000@comcast.net