RE: Electronic or print?

And the lesson from Gutenberg-e was that, unless the authors could produce a print version of their "enhanced" dissertations, journals in their field would not review them and they would not get the credit they needed to win tenure and promotion. Any print version, of course, could not represent the full content of the electronic version as they were "multi-dimensional" works of scholarship. As all of us know who have inhabited the academy for a long time, old habits die hard!

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

I have long thought of what we are doing not as electronic
publishing, but as distributed print publishing...

And as long as the articles we produce are artificially limited
by the 2-dimensional nature of paper, and the resultant narrative
structure, I suspect it will stay that way.

If/when publishers (and, of course, their authors) start to think
of presenting information in more useful ways that are enabled by
the multi-dimensional Web, then printing them out will become an
impossibility.

Sally Morris
Email: sally@morris-assocs.demon.co.uk