Copyright in Fonts/Typefaces

Someone on this list will know the answer to this question. Is
there a liability in distributing PDF files with typefaces
embedded therein?

To explain how the issue arises:

Exact Editions has a digital editions service enabling publishers
to distribute/publish magazines and books in a way similar to
Google Book Search (ie an access based system in which all the
collections and accounts are fully searchable and linkable). Its
'access-based' rather than a file-download system, which is what
most book and periodical publishers have used hitherto.

There are several advantages in the access-based approach (its
faster, more interactive and more citable), but there are also
some drawbacks. EG its not easy for a user to download a complete
issue to read the book or magazine off-line. Some publishers dont
want to facilitate this option, some are happy to do so.

Our system allows/encourages the publisher to offer the option of
a 'complete issue PDF download' to subscribers, if that is
something they wish to do. We then offer as a download option, a
version of the PDF file that the publisher originally submitted
for databasing (our core solution does not use PDFs per se --
Like GBS the images that go into user's browsers are JPEGs). But
it was suggested to me the other day that this alterntive
distribution of PDFs could be a problem for the publisher (or for
us) if the PDF file included the digital typeface. There would be
liability for the publisher in distributing and copying these
files without the permission of the designer/owner of the
typeface used in the PDF file.

So many PDF files are now distributed through the web that I find
it hard to believe that this can be an issue of liability. I
should also admit to being rather embarrassed to not knowing the
answer to this question off the top of my head!

Adam Hodgkin