RE: Steven Johnson on E-Books

We've been publishing e-books since 1998 and ran an experiment
offering individual chapters in 2001-2, only to find no-one
wanted to buy them. However, I think that was too soon for the
market. Today, we disseminate many more e-books than we do print
and our income from e-books is much larger than for print.
However, we don't sell our books via Kindle or any other
stand-alone reading device - at least not yet - because our
readers are not at the end of that particular supply chain (at
least, not yet). I really like the story of the impulse purchase
of Zadie Smith's novel and I have a Kindle-owning colleague in
the US who has also bought a book within a minute or so of
reading a review in the Economist. Clearly the speed with which
it is possible to get hold of a book is impressive and will lead
to impulse purchases (just as browsing in a bookstore does).

Will this lead to chapter-purchasing? It may, especially for
books which are compilations of chapters rather than stories with
a beginning, middle and end. The challenge will be to add
metadata at the level of each discrete part of a book. This is
something we've been doing for the past five years or so, but
it's more difficult than it seems because breaking a book into
discrete bits that make sense is not always obvious. Sometimes we
decide we can't break the book up because that would render each
part useless. We are also separating out charts, tables and
graphs - giving each their own metadata so they can be discovered
and downloaded independently of the chapter. Aside from changing
our processes, we've also had to ask authors to change the way
they prepare their books: we now need bibliographies for each
chapter and abstracts too. I know that other publishers are doing
the same.

Will we offer these individual pieces for sale independently? I
don't know - but we certainly haven't ruled it out. Do we have
the necessary e-commerce systems in place? Yes, but right now it
would require direct purchasing via our website - which may work
for some individuals, but I don't imagine institutions will be
very interested in buying direct from gazillions of individual
publishers' websites. I guess, if the market is there for this
kind of service, iTunes and/or Amazon will be jostling with
Ingram, Swets et al to be the intermediary.

A word on semantic mark up. I'm very jealous of publishers in
biology or chemistry where the text contains terms presented in
an internationally agreed, standardized, language (names of bugs,
chemical formulae). This is relatively easy to mark up
semantically. But how do you mark up a book where the language
shifts from year to year? Two years ago it was handicapped
people, then it was people with disabilities, now its people with
disadvantages. Is it the credit crunch or the financial crisis? I
think it will be a while before mark-up is possible at the level
of paragraphs, let alone chapters.

Finally, will the Kindle (or its 'klones') be the killer ap or
will it be the iPhone? How soon before netbooks and laptops
integrate Kindle-like features? Of course, it's none of them (or
all of them) because it's not the device that matters, it's the
supply chain. The 'aha' moment came because the supply chain is
now much shorter - a matter of a minute between thinking about
purchasing a book (or component) and getting it on a screen to
read. That's the killer ap.

Toby Green
Head of Publishing
Public Affairs & Communications Directorate
OECD
toby.green@oecd.org
www.oecd.org
www.oecd.org/publishing