Steven Johnson on E-Books

Listmembers may be interest in Steven Johnson's engaging article
in the April 20 Wall Street Journal, "How the E-Book Will Change
the Way We Read and Write,"
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123980920727621353.html .
Johnson predicts that the Amazon e-reader and Google's vast
digital library, combined with machine-readable markup and a
standard citation system that provides pinpoint citations to the
paragraph or even sentence level, will lead to social tagging of
subparts of millions of e-books.  Google's search system and
Amazon's ranking algorithms would then foster discovery and
ranking of those subparts.  Moreover, the handheld appears to
enable easy impulse buying of digital texts.  According to
Johnson, all of these factors should cause a huge increase in the
sale of subparts of electronic books.

While it's clear that scholarly journal publishers are already
effectively selling online on demand at the article level, I'm
not sure whether scholarly monograph publishers or vendors are
yet prepared for online sales on demand at the chapter,
subchapter, or paragraph level.  I'd be interested to hear from
scholarly monograph publishers and vendors whether Johnson's
scenario seems likely, and, if so, how far along scholarly
monograph publishers and vendors are at implementing the semantic
markup, citation standards, and e-commerce components to
facilitate such a system of on-demand digital subpart sales.

Johnson's article seems to underscore the value for knowledge
dissemination and e-commerce of an open, machine-readable e-book
citation format that can function as a unique identifier for each
book subpart.

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Law Librarian & Legal Information Consultant
Philadelphia, PA
richards1000@comcast.net
* Member New York bar, retired status.